Kodiak Cakes have become a real staple in my house. From pancakes to waffles, to breads and now bagels, I just can’t get enough of the stuff. Here is a little recipe I worked my way through that came out pretty good! I looked at a few other recipes online, my head started hurting and then I just said “screw it”, lets just try and make a bagel. Bagels are an awesome way to start the day and these have the added protein that Kodiak Cakes offer. Get stoked!
3 1/2 cups Kodiak Cakes Mix
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (1 package)
1 1/4 cup warm water)
2 tablespoons honey
Your choice Bagel Flavoring (a cup of blueberries, cinnamon and raisin, dried blueberries, garlic powder, onion powder and chive, Etc)
1. In a large bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and honey. Let sit for 5 minutes. While you wait, mix the salt and the Kodiak Cakes mix in a different bowl.
2. Mixing as you go, SLOWLY add the flour and salt mix until dough starts to make a ball. If you need a little more water, add in a little at a time to make the dough into a…well…doughy consistency. Knead the dough for a good long while. I’m talking like 10 minutes of serious dough kneading.
3. Place dough into a large bowl (lightly coated with non stick spray), cover with some cling wrap, or press and seal, whatever you have…even a towel will do…and let sit for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
4. In a large pot, boil 6-8 cups of water.
5. While you wait for the water to boil, divide your dough into 6 equal pieces. Take your choice flavoring and roll it into the dough. I made a few different flavors. Dried blueberries (that I just pressed into the dough) worked well, but a mix of garlic powder, onion powder and chives really was my favorite. The possibilities are really limitless.
6. Roll each portion into a snake about a half an inch thick. Make a loop. Mush the ends together, and get stoked that it looks like a bagel.
7. Place on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough. Let sit 10-15 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Once water is boiling, add one bagel at a time (just ensuring they do not touch). Cook for 1 minute, flip and cook other side for 1 minute. Place each bagel on greased baking sheet.
9 .Bake bagels for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
10. Enjoy with butter, jam, cream cheese, or plain!